If you are interested in serving as an officer, read through the expectations and sign up to be notified when the next hiring process opens.
Our department and city are growing, so there are many opportunities for people with a mindset of community service and exemplary policing. Motivated officers may serve in a number of positions and grow in their careers. Opportunities include:
Promotional opportunities include:
- Assistant Chief
- 5 Day On / 4 Day Off Work Schedule
- 10—Hour Work Day
- Employee Wellness Program
- Onsite Fitness Facility
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Shift Differential
- Education Reimbursement
- Longevity Pay
We offer competitive wages at all levels and hiring incentives for certified officers.
Time Away from Work
- 2-5 Weeks of Vacation Per Year
- 10 Paid Holidays per Year
- 1 Casual Day Per Year
- 12 Days of Sick Leave per Year
Qualifications and What We Expect
We expect police officer candidates to be people of high character who want to serve and be involved with the community. If you want to develop yourself and the department you work for to be the best, you are on the right path.
To see the full qualifications and details about a career with the West Des Moines Police Department as an officer, click on the job posting link and then the link for the position of police officer. You will find instructions on how to apply online within the job announcement.
To see the minimum qualifications and standards for police officers in the State of Iowa, click on this link to the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy Website - ILEA Police Officer Qualifications
We have department standards that police officer candidates must meet. Below is a listing of the standards, the length of time for disqualifiers, and whether not meeting the standard will or may disqualify a candidate.
Substance Use / Abuse
- Conviction for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated will disqualify a candidate for 3 years
- Any adult use or possession of illegal drugs other than marijuana/synthetic marijuana will disqualify a candidate for 5 years
- Any adult use of marijuana/synthetic marijuana will disqualify a candidate for 1 year
- Any use of prescription drugs that were not prescribed for the candidate may disqualify them
- Any juvenile possession, use, manufacture, cultivation, distribution or sale of drugs may disqualify a candidate
- Past conviction for aggravated misdemeanor or Iowa law equivalent will disqualify a candidate
- Any conviction for simple/serious misdemeanor or Iowa law equivalent, except minor traffic will disqualify a candidate for 3 years
- Any outstanding criminal warrant at time of application will disqualify a candidate
- Being on any sex offender registry will disqualify a candidate
- Adult or Juvenile admission of undetected crimes of a serious or repetitive nature may disqualify a candidate
- Any forgery, alteration or falsification of facts on application will disqualify a candidate
- Discipline from employer or military for fighting in the workplace, acts constituting sexual harassment, racial or ethnic harassment or discrimination may disqualify a candidate
- Other than honorable discharge from military may disqualify a candidate
- Missing scheduled appointments during process without permission may disqualify a candidate
- Any academic dismissal or probation from any college or university may disqualify a candidate for 3 years
- A candidate named as a defendant in a no contact order may be disqualified
- Unsatisfactory reference(s) may disqualify a candidate
- Unsatisfactory credit history may disqualify a candidate
Current Law Enforcement Officers
- Having accepted a bribe or involvement in any dishonest act while employed as officer will disqualify a candidate
- Any job related disciplinary action of a serious nature will disqualify a candidate
The City of West Des Moines is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.
Unsuccessful candidates are eligible to reapply in later processes
If you do not want to apply for the current process, but would like to know when the next application process opens, please enter your information into the eNotification signup. You are welcome to sign up for as many different city notifications as you like, but make sure you choose police recruiting so that you will receive the notifications about the next hiring process.