West Des Moines Human Services offers transportation for seniors, disabled and low-income residents of the community. Transportation is available for necessary medical appointments, Human Services referral trips and other trips as time allows (e.g., grocery store, salon/barber shop, bank, library). This free service is available Monday through Friday between 9:00 am and 3:30 pm. Service is only available to West Des Moines residents. Call 515-222-3661 with your reservation - all rides must be requested by 12 noon at least two business days before the ride is needed. Riders should be ready to go one hour before their appointment time. Drivers will not wait more than five minutes for pick-ups.
How do I schedule a ride?
Call 515-222-3661 by noon at least two business days before your ride is needed. Rides can be scheduled up to 30 days in advance. We will ask you for the following information - please have this information ready when you call:
• Your full name, current address and phone number
• The date you are in need of a ride
• The name, address and phone number of where you are going
• The reason for your transportation request
• The type of assistance or mobility aid you require, if any
• Passenger information if someone needs to ride with you
What happens after I schedule a ride?
1. The transportation coordinator will provide you with an approximate pick-up time. Please be ready 15 minutes prior to your pick-up time as the driver may be running ahead of schedule.
2. Driver will wait 5 minutes for you to come out.
3. If instructed to do so, please call the transportation coordinator for pick-up after your appointment; please allow up to 60 minutes for transportation to arrive.
4. If your wait after your appointment exceeds 60 minutes, please call the transportation coordinator again. Please do not call sooner than 60 minutes.
OPPORTUNITIES THROUGH TRANSIT (OTT)
DART has partnered with Polk County to help income eligible residents find and keep jobs through a program called Opportunities Through Transit. Those who are eligible can ride DART buses at a reduced rate while traveling to a job, looking for work, or attending educational/training programs. Click here for more information.
WEST DES MOINES SENIOR CENTER
Residents age 60 and older are invited to visit the Polk County Westside Community Center Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. The Center provides several fun daily activities as well as a nutritious meal served at 11:30 am. Reservations are required the day before by 1:00 pm. The WDM Senior Center is located at 134 6th Street in the Valley Junction neighborhood of West Des Moines. Contact Linda Mason at 515-274-0373 for more information or to make reservations.
WDM Human Services provides transportation to the WDM Senior Center for seniors residing in the Dallas County section of West Des Moines; DART provides service for all other areas.