Minor Modifications are intended to provide a method where minor changes can be made to existing, previously approved land use development projects. This application allows a more limited review of projects that do not generate substantial impacts. There are two levels of Minor Modifications, Level 1 and Level 2.
Minor Modification Level 1: The Minor Modification Level 1 process is appropriate for projects which meet any of the following criteria:
- Modifications to on-site circulation drives, parking, and loading or service areas that do not increase the net impervious surface area more than two thousand (2,000) square feet;
- Placement or changes to walls, fences, and retaining walls that do not affect existing topography or drainage;
- Modifications to landscaping that do not affect existing topography or drainage;
- Modifications to wall facades, reconfiguration and/or addition of architectural features, colors, finishes or materials that do not compromise the established theme or otherwise makes the structure inconsistent with the architectural design, color, or materials of other structures within the same development or surrounding area;
- Entry vestibules necessary to meet Energy Code requirements and which are no larger than necessary to accommodate accessibility standards;
- Installation of trash enclosures and associated screening;
- Installation of back-up generators and associated screening; and
- Additions of or expansions of decks and patios for permitted uses.
Sites may have an unlimited number of Level 1 Minor Modifications.
Minor Modification Level 2: The Minor Modification Level 2 process is appropriate for projects which meet any of the following criteria:
- Modifications to on-site circulation drives, parking, and loading or service areas which increase the net impervious surface area more than two thousand (2,000) square feet;
- New freestanding accessory buildings of not more than a total of two thousand (2,000) square feet;
- Building expansions of an existing facility for permitted uses up to fifty percent (50%) of the existing square footage and not more than a total of two thousand (2,000) square feet;
- Modification of an approved Permitted Conditional Use Site Plan Permit that does not increase the square footage of the use (e.g.: building, deck or patio addition or expansion) and that does not otherwise meet the test for a Level 1 Minor Modification; and
- Changes in residential density to either decrease the total number of units or to increase the number of units as long as:
- The density does not exceed the maximum allowed per the designated zoning of the property; and
- The additional density does not warrant a structural addition or new structure which exceeds two thousand (2,000) square feet of gross floor area.
Sites are allowed two Level 2 Minor Modifications. Site changes that otherwise would be the third proposed Level 2 Minor Modification for a site shall instead be processed as a Major Modification Site Plan. Approval of a Major Modification shall again enable the use of the Level 2 Minor Modification process.