CURRENT BUILDING DIVISION OPERATIONAL PROCEDURES
Because of the COVID-19 situation, the following procedures are in effect. These may be updated at any time. With the closure of WDM City Hall and our limited communication options, we are requiring all applications and correspondence be routed through our email – email@example.com
- We continue to schedule and perform inspections for unoccupied projects like a new house, new apartment complexes or a new commercial building. We will also continue inspecting occupied projects where the requested inspection is essentially outside. You can still schedule these by calling 515-222-3620.
- For occupied projects we will only perform the inspection if the area can be accessed without going through an occupied area or the contractor can arrange acceptable afterhours access when the area is not occupied. These situations will be determined on a case by case basis and we will utilize photos and\or videos to attain the needed documentation whenever possible. Please send the photos to our firstname.lastname@example.org address and include the type of inspection the photos are intended to cover. Be sure to include the project address or permit number. We will let you know if the photo provides adequate documentation.
- For small projects like water heaters or basement finishes in occupied spaces, we will also try to utilize photos as much as possible. Please send the photos to our email@example.com address and include the type of inspection the photos are intended to cover. Be sure to include the project address or permit number. We will let you know if the photo provides adequate documentation.
- Contractors/citizens please be advised that it is still your responsibility to make certain you have attained some form of approval through typical inspection or photos before the work is covered.
- All Rental Inspections have been placed on HOLD temporarily. If you have follow-up questions or if your rental certificate will be expiring during this time frame, please send your question, rental address and contact information to our Building Inspection inbox at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We are NOT scheduling new rental inspection requests except for situations where the unit is unoccupied. However, we are keeping a list of those that contact us, the rental address and a contact email to enable future communication.
- Property owners please be advised that even without inspection documentation it is still your responsibility to provide a SAFE rental for your tenants.
The Building Division is responsible for the safe building environment and structural integrity of buildings in the City. It strives to provide this integrity through plan review of construction projects, for compliance with the City's codes and ordinances. This division also provides on site inspections to help insure that the actual construction is safe and secure.
The Building Division's objectives are to benefit the general public through the establishment of minimum safety and construction standards, providing education to the public concerning the necessity of these standards, encouragement of the public to meet these standards through voluntary compliance, and to provide enforcement of City adopted building codes and zoning ordinances.
Winter weather is upon us and the Mid Iowa Construction Code Committee (MICCC) has a
to regulate the placement of concrete during cold weather by providing minimum standards. Please review the policy before preparing the site and calling for an inspection.
Sign up for eNotifications to receive the Monthly Building Permit Report and other important City related notices.
West Des Moines Building Inspection
Development Services Department
4200 Mills Civic Parkway Suite D1
West Des Moines, IA 50265
TEL: (515) 222-3630
FAX: (515) 273-0602