COVID-19 Update and Memorial Day holiday information
West Des Moines City Hall, the Public Services building and the business offices of the Fire and EMS Departments will reopen to the public on Monday, June 1. The Valley Junction Activity Center and the Raccoon River Park Nature Lodge also will be open on June 1 to public walk-in customers only. The buildings have been closed since March 19.
Memorial Day Holiday
As usual, City Hall and most City offices will be closed on Monday, May 25, for Memorial Day. Solid waste collection will be delayed one day following the holiday for the remainder of the week, with Friday’s collection occurring on Saturday. The West Des Moines Public Services Department will be spraying parks and trail areas for mosquitos, weather permitting, during the evening hours of Friday, May 22, through Sunday, May 24. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Public Services Department at 222-3480.
Parks & Recreation extends cancellations
The West Des Moines Parks & Recreation Department’s cancellation of programs, events and facility reservations due to COVID-19 is being extended through Sunday, June 14. This includes the following:
- All recreation programs and events are cancelled through June 14. Any program starting prior to June 14 with a session that extends past June 14 is cancelled in its entirety. Programs with one session extending through the entire summer (i.e. Tae Kwon Do) may be held again with pro-rated registration fees if cancellations are lifted. Full refunds will be given to those already registered for cancelled programs.
- All shelter reservations are cancelled through June 14. Full refunds will be given.
- All reservations at the Nature Lodge and Valley Junction Activity Center are cancelled through June 14. Full refunds will be given.
- All sports programs and leagues are cancelled through Sunday, June 14. Any program or league starting prior to June 14 with a session that extends past June 14 is cancelled in its entirety. Sports programs or leagues with one session or season extending through the entire summer may be held again with pro-rated registration fees if cancellations are lifted. Full refunds will be given to those already registered for cancelled programs or leagues.
- All rentals of Holiday Park Baseball Complex, Raccoon River Park Softball Complex and Valley View Fields are cancelled through June 14. Full refunds will be given.
- Organizations operating under park use agreements may not conduct games, tournaments or practices at City facilities through June 14. This includes West Des Moines Girls Softball, Sportsplex West, West Des Moines Soccer, Iowa Premier League (Cricket), Heartland Cricket and Des Moines Rugby.
- Per CDC guidance, no other organized sports, including unofficial games or practices, will be allowed during times in which individuals are encouraged or required to practice social distancing.
Parks, Trails and Park Facilities
The following are OPEN with social distancing required for those who do not reside in the same household or living unit:
- Raccoon River Park Dog Park
- Raccoon River Park Archery Facility
- Raccoon River Park Beach Sand Area (outside water)
- Raccoon River Park Boathouse (anticipated to open June 12)
- Basketball Courts / Sand Volleyball Courts (no team sports, contact play or pick-up games)
- Tennis / Pickleball Courts
- Horseshoe Courts
- Open Fields / Backstops (no team sports, contact play or pick-up games)
The following remain CLOSED until further notice:
- Park Restrooms
- Playgrounds and Playground Equipment*
- Crossroads Skate Park*
- Legion Park Sprayground*
- Beach Swimming Area (ropes designating swimming area have not been installed; open water swimming outside of a designated area is allowed with an approved Open Water Swim Permit from the City)
- Aquatic Centers*
*Closed under Governor’s May 13, 2020 Proclamation that closes certain facilities through May 27, 2020.