Officers employed by the City of West Des Moines are available to work assignments for members of the public and organizations as needed for security and other purposes. To request an officer, please fill out this form and verify that the requirements for hiring an officer will be met prior to the work being available for assignment to officers. Listed below are the requirements set by the City of West Des Moines (the City) and the West Des Moines Police Benevolent Association (WDMPBA) for employment of off-duty officers.
The following information from all prospective employers shall be on file with the City at all times and shall be reviewed annually:
- Long-term or continuous employers need only complete this form and provide proof of insurance coverage once a year.
- Officers shall be paid $50 per hour with a three-hour minimum, except for holidays, which will be compensated at $75 per hour with a three-hour minimum.
- Recognized holidays for determining compensation include New Year’s Day, Easter Sunday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, Thanksgiving, Friday following Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day.
- Payment is expected at completion of the job or assignment unless arrangements are made with the officer(s) prior to the start of the job.
- If a prospective employer cancels a job after 12 PM on the third day preceding the job, they will be responsible for a three hour minimum pay out for each off-duty position requested.
- Once off-duty officers show up at an off-duty job, they will be paid for the entire contracted time.
- Officers will not be allowed or expected to participate in any activity which is not security or police related.
- If a particular job cannot be filled by a West Des Moines police officer, the job may be offered to officers of neighboring departments (e.g., Clive PD, Windsor Heights PD, Polk County Sheriff’s Office, etc.).This task will be facilitated by West Des Moines police personnel unless the prospective employer expressly declines this arrangement.
- A good faith effort will be made to fill the requested job position(s) but neither the City nor the WDMPBA are under any obligation to fill the positions. If the job cannot be filled for any reason, the prospective employer will be contacted by phone and informed of such at least 24 hours before the job is to begin.
Prospective employers will be required to provide one or both of the following and show proof of same prior to the off-duty job being filled:
- Proof of worker’s compensation coverage expressly including the prospective officer(s) as employees while acting in the capacity of security officer; or
- Proof of comprehensive liability coverage in the minimum amount of one million dollars, naming the City as co-insured.
Questions may be directed via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (515) 222-3335
Information fields marked with a red asterisk * are required fields