The City of West Des Moines has been an entitlement community under the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development’s (HUD) Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program since 2005. Entitlement communities include local governments with 50,000 or more residents, other local governments designated as central cities of metropolitan areas, and urban counties with populations of at least 200,000. West Des Moines is an entitlement community because it is considered a local government with 50,000 or more residents.
A 30-day public comment period begins April 23, 2019 and ends May 22, 2019. During the public comment period the entire 2019-20 Annual Action Plan is available for review at the following locations:
City of West Des Moines web site – www.wdm.iowa.gov – Government, Community & Economic Development, Housing, Community Development Block Grant Program
West Des Moines Community and Economic Development Department – 4200 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines
West Des Moines Human Services Department – 139 6th Street, West Des Moines
West Des Moines Library – 4000 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines
Historic City Hall – 137 5th Street, West Des Moines
Comments on the draft Annual Action Plan may be submitted in several ways:
Phone by calling 515-273-0770
Email to Christine.email@example.com
Mail to Community and Economic Development Department, Attn: Christine Gordon, 4200 Mills Civic Parkway Suite 2E, West Des Moines, Iowa 50265
Fax to 515-222-3459
To view the DRAFT 2019-20 CDBG Annual Action Plan, click here.
The draft 2019-20 Annual Action Plan is tentatively scheduled on the June 3, 2019 City Council agenda for final approval.
The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has identified the City of West Des Moines as a potential grantee for the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program. As an entitlement city, West Des Moines would be eligible for HUD funds to address defined needs in the community. A draft Consolidated Plan has been completed which defines the needs of the community and describes the programs proposed to be funded through the CDBG Program.
The current plans related to the CDBG Program are:
- Consolidated Plan– a five year plan describing the needs and goals of the City of West Des Moines related to housing and community development
- Annual Action Plan – a one year plan describing the programs and funding allocations of one program year
- Consolidated Annual Performance and Evaluation Report (CAPER)– a report detailing the outcomes of the CDBG program for the previous year. This document is for the prior year so the plan available is for 2015-16.
- Greater Des Moines Regional Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice - a report and plan identifying the impediments to fair housing choices the region including West Des Moines
- Citizen Participation Plan - a plan outlining methods and procedures for citizen participation in the CDBG Program
- Outreach Policy for Minority and Women Owned Businesses/Contractors - a plan outlining West Des Moines' commitment to support and solicit minority and women-owned businesses and contractors.
The CDBG program has a twelve month timeline. The program year begins July 1st and ends June 30th of the following year. Click here for more information on the funding allocations to date.
The programs funded for the 2018-2019 Community Development Block Grant funds are:
- Housing - Rental Acquisition - The City will acquire single family rental units to be transitioned into owner-occupied affordable homes for sale.
- Transportation – Provide free use of Des Moines Metropolitan Transportation Authority for qualified applicants to use the system throughout the entire metro area for access to employment, shopping and medical facilities.
- Housing - Provide homeless prevention dollars for utilities and eviction notices.
- Administration – Administration of the Community Development Block Grant Program.