July 4th, 2018 city events
For Further Information Contact
Independence Day observations within the City of West Des Moines officially begin on July 3rd with the parade. This is a special year as West Des Moines celebrates 125 years as a community (#WDM125). Valley West Drive will be closed between Woodland Avenue and Ashworth Road at 5:00 PM. The parade begins at 6:30 PM. The parade will form on Valley West Drive then move east on Ashworth Road, south/east on Vine Street, south on 4th Street and disperse at 4th Street and Maple Street. We anticipate the parade will have more participants than previous years.
On July 4th the City of West Des Moines will have a fireworks display at Raccoon River Park. The display will begin at dusk and is presented by our friends at the West Des Moines Fire Department. Join us as we celebrate our nation’s independence and 125 years as the West Des Moines community.
Safety reminders to keep in mind:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Keep a close eye on children to prevent them from entering onto the parade route or onto any street.
- The use of consumer fireworks is prohibited under West Des Moines City Ordinance 5-2-14. Persons violating this ordinance are eligible to receive a $250 fine. This ordinance is in effect all year, including July 3rd and July 4th.
- Sparklers are allowed!
- Any activity, when mixed with too much alcohol, can become dangerous. Be mindful of the circumstance you create for yourself and the people around you.
- No glass containers are permitted within City parks. We want to keep our parks safe for all our guests including children who lose their shoes.
- No alcohol is permitted, at any time, on the beach area at Raccoon River Park.
- All boats need to be off the lake on July 4th by 7:00 PM.
- Impaired driving is extremely dangerous, illegal, and completely preventable. Enjoy the holiday responsibly.